A tick or acan help to clarify your point in Word document, but apparently there are no corresponding keys on the keyboard. So you must take some steps to insert them just like other special symbols.
Method 1: Insert Symbols
1. Click Symbol in Home tab, choose More Symbols… in the drop-down menu.
2. Choose the Font as Wingdings 2 under Symbols tab.
3. Then you can find tick and cross symbols very easily. Just select the one you want, and hit Insert to add it to your document.
Method 2: Change the Font
1. To simplify the process, you can directly change the font in Home tab to Wingdings 2 at first.
2. Then if you enter the capital letter “O”, it will be displayed as a cross, and “P” will be displayed as a tick.
3. Similarly, you can enter the capital letter at first, and then select it and change its font (either in Home tab or right-click menu) to Wingdings 2.